Great North 5k
Help us mark the start of an incredible weekend of running at the Great North 5k on the Newcastle Gateshead Quayside. Whether you’re not a fan of the half marathon distance or you want to jog round and loosen the legs for the big day, there is no better way to start the Great North Run weekend.
If you are looking to run to raise money for a charity close to your heart or help to support a good cause there are hundreds of charity running places available to choose from. You may be able to secure a charity entry by agreeing to raise sponsorship money.
Great North 5k
Join the Great North Run social community on Facebook for support, tips, event updates and more.
Prepare for your run
Fall In Love With Running
You might already be completely in love with running (like we are here at Great Run) or maybe you like to run but you wouldn’t say you’re in love with it just yet. Find out why we think everyone should fall in love with running Read More.
Five Ways To Improve Your Running Posture
Want to improve your running posture? Here is our handy guide from physiotherapist and runner Jenny Blizard Read More.
Flat As A Pancake Great Runs
Read about four flipping marvellous routes that are perfect for achieving your own personal best Read More.
How Often Should I Run?
All you need to know on how many times a week you should be running Read More.
Running In The Dark
Do you have a busy schedule? Are there not enough daylight hours in the day? As the summer draws to a close and days get shorter, sometimes the only time to run is during dark mornings or evenings. Read More.
The Great North 5K route map is coming soon…
The greatest reward in taking part is the sense of achievement as you cross the finish line, but by taking your place on the start line, you’re already part of something really special. Great Run events are renowned for being well-organised, safe, and inclusive and the atmosphere and support is always unbelievable.
BEFORE THE EVENT
We’re here to help you be your greatest, so before the big day you’ll get…
- Your personal run pack sent to you in the post, with your run number and timing chip
- Access to training plans to keep you on track
- Exclusive offers and competitions from our partners and sponsors
- Support and advice all the way up to event day
- Regular emails keeping you motivated and moving
- A huge supportive and inclusive social community on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to help you on your running journey
ON EVENT DAY
Other than all the good vibes, fitness and mental health benefits you’ll also get…
- Access to the free Great Run app to allow your loved ones to track your progress along the route as well as access to all event information
- Access to the Great Run information point for any last minute queries (or safety pins)
- Closed roads offering a safe running environment
- Food and drink options to refuel
- A shiny new medal, an exclusive finishers t-shirt plus a finisher’s bag filled with goodies
- Plenty of medical support all around our routes should you ever need any assistance
- A huge round of applause as you cross the finish
AFTER THE EVENT
Obviously you’ll have bragging rights for the foreseeable, but you’ll also get…
- Official event day photos available to view and purchase a couple of days after the event, so smile for the cameras!
- Your official result ready shortly after you cross the finish line
- Runners Rewards – access to special offers for participants, from our partners and sponsors as a well done.
Make It Personal
If you’d like a special memento from the day, why not purchase your very own iTAB to attach to your Great North 5k medal ribbon? You can personalise your iTAB with your name, finishing time, and even a special message.
Just £7.99 including postage and packing.